At Northside Hospital, we pride ourselves on offering the latest in breakthrough procedures, technologies and treatments through our participation in national clinical trials. Clinical trials translate results of scientific research into ways of preventing, diagnosing, and treating disease, and they are typically available only in university or research institution settings. However, at Northside our patients have access to exclusive clinical trials in a wide array of therapeutic areas including Oncology, Blood and Marrow Transplant, Cardiology, and Pulmonology.
We're especially proud that our Pulmonology group was involved in two groundbreaking clinical trials that were cited in the New England Journal of Medicine:
- Macitentan and Morbidity and Mortality in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, N Engl J Med 2013; 369:808-818, August 29, 2013.
- A Phase 3 Trial of Pirfenidone in Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, N Engl J Med 2014; 370:2083-2092, May 29, 2014.
What is a Clinical Trial?
A clinical trial is a research study involving patient volunteers. Clinical trials are intended to answer specific health questions by utilizing new treatments that are not yet available for widespread use. Each trial is carefully designed to test the safety and efficacy of new medications, medical treatments, and/or devices. They provide a good reference to compare how existing treatments stack up against newer ones. Clinical trials also are helpful in determining how a specific population that may have not been tested before responds to treatment.
Why are Clinical Trials Conducted?
Clinical trials are used to evaluate the safety and efficacy of new drugs, devices, and treatments. They provide a good reference to compare how existing treatments stack up against newer ones. Clinical trials also are helpful in determining how a specific population that may have not been tested before responds to treatment.
What Pulmonology Clinical Trials are Available at Northside?
- A Study to Assess the Effect of Selexipag on daily life physical activity and patient's self-reported symptoms and their impacts, in patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, Principal Investigator Paul Boyce MD
- A Study to Determine the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Pulsed, Inhaled Nitric Oxide versus Placebo in Symptomatic Subjects with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, Principal Investigator Paul Boyce MD
- A Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics and Clinical Benefit of FLU-IGIV in Hospitalized Patients with Serious Influenza A Infection, Principal Investigator Stephanie Eaton MD
- COPD: A Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Inhaled Treprostinil in Patients with Pulmonary Hypertension due to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Principal Investigator Paul Boyce MD
- Lung Tumor: A Study to Evaluate the Role of Circulating Tumor DNA from Liquid Biopsy in Early Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Resected Lung Tumor Investigation, Principal Investigator Howard Silverboard MD
- Sarcoidosis Associated Pulmonary Hypertension: A Study of Oral Riociguat for Sarcoidosis Associated Pulmonary Hypertension, Principal Investigator Paul Boyce MD
Why should you participate in a clinical trial?
Becoming involved in a clinical trial will give you the opportunity to:
- Receive expert medical care from specialist investigators and doctors.
- Gain access to the latest treatments and techniques being evaluated for your condition.
- Contribute to medical breakthroughs that could affect generations to come.
No clinical trial is completely without risk, and patients who wish to volunteer should understand the possibility of unpleasant, serious or even life-threatening side effects. Additionally, some trials can be time consuming and may not offer any benefit.
It is the policy of our practice that all physicians and staff preserve the integrity and the confidentiality of protected health information pertaining to our patients. Please click on the link below to read the full statement of privacy that each patient will be entitled.
At Pulmonary & Critical Care of Atlanta, we make it our priority to provide you with the best personal and professional care.