Howard Silverboard, MD
Howard Silverboard, MD joined Pulmonary & Critical Care of Atlanta in 2003. Dr. Silverboard’s goal with each patient is to provide comprehensive, personalized care by taking time with each patient to understand their health needs and develop health goals, so the patient can achieve optimal health. He is passionate about the early identification of lung cancer, smoking cessation and using a multidisciplinary approach for the treatment of chest malignancies. He believes in patient advocacy, disease prevention and raising awareness of the needs of patients with respiratory illnesses.
Dr. Silverboard is presently the Medical Director of Thoracic Oncology and the Lung Cancer Screening Program at the Northside Hospital Cancer Institute and as an active member of his community, supporting the American Lung Association, the GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer and Lungevity.
When Dr. Silverboard is not at work, he enjoys visiting national parks and hiking with his family. He also enjoys running and has participated in the Peachtree Road Race for over 30 years and has completed six marathons, including the New York and Chicago marathons.
- Fellowship, Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine, Emory University, Georgia
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Emory University, Georgia
- Internship, Internal Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama
- Doctor of Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama
- Diplomate, Critical Care Medicine
- Diplomate, Pulmonary Diseases
- Diplomate, Internal Medicine
- Member, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Member, American Thoracic Society
- Member, American College of Chest Physicians
- Chair, Lung Cancer Steering Committee, Northside Hospital Cancer Institute 2012-present
- Medical Director, Lung Cancer Screening Program, Northside Hospital Cancer Institute 2012-present
- Medical Director, Thoracic Oncology, Northside Hospital Cancer Institute 2012-present
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor 2013-2020
- Atlanta Magazine Top Doctor 2016-2020
- Clinical Associate Professor, Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
- Chair, Critical Care Committee Saint Joseph’s Hospital of Atlanta 2010-2012
- Medical Director, Respiratory Therapy Saint Joseph’s Hospital of Atlanta 2006-2011
- Recipient of 2007 Quality and Patient Safety Award, Georgia Hospital Association
- Chief Pulmonary Fellow, Emory University School of Medicine, 2002-2003
- Recipient Outstanding Teaching Resident Award, Emory University School of Medicine
- Tinsley Harrison Medical Student Society, University of Alabama School of Medicine
Breathing Easy: Running with Asthma
Click here to read an article written by Dr. Silverboard that was featured in the April 2018 issue of Wingfoot Magazine by the Atlanta Track Club. He discusses running with asthma, how the allergens in Atlanta can impact an asthmatic runner’s routine, and when it is okay to run asthma symptoms.
Top Docs Radio
Click here to listen to Dr. Howard Silverboard on Top Docs radio, where he discussed lung cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment with his colleagues from the Northside Hospital Cancer Institute.